Monday, May 13, 2013

IT’S HARD, BEING JOEY D’s MOM…


Better late than never.

I wasn’t even born yet, and there were countless sacrifices made on my behalf.

I have been told by relatives and acquaintances that my mom was always about good times with friends and family, and was always at home in her native Navotas, yet she agreed to move to a different country and leave all that behind, just to improve the chances of us having a better education, a safe childhood and have a clean, decent environment to grow-up-in… she had that, but she always wanted better for me… for us.

Though a lot of it is a blur now, I do remember a lot of good times. When I was four, I had this dark blue coat-and-tie ensemble which I called “applejacks” for some reason. I’d insist on wearing it on random days… even in the middle of the night, and bug everyone to take my picture. We both laughed right after. It was the stupidest thing, but we had a blast even though I’d take them off right after the flash and she’d pick them up and neatly hang them in the closet for the next day. It was a tireless and thankless task but she did it.

Up until I was around seven years old, I didn’t really want my own room. I just wanted to sleep beside my mom. In the middle of the night, she’d lightly pinch my ears and check if they were cold, because that meant she’d turn the aircon down, or put a blanket over me. She bought me the coolest sets of pajamas: Ghostbusters, Bioman, fucking everything: it was the absolute shit. On bad nights, I’d have nightmares because of the horror movies I had watched earlier in the day… I would squeeze behind her and bury my face into her back while the ceilings creaked and the nocturnal noises outside scared the bejesus out of me, unmindful of the fact that this was such an uncomfortable habit for her… and when I’d have nightmares, I unconsciously kicked or punched and hit her. But she never got mad. She’d still wake up really early and make the best breakfasts any kid could want: the perfect homemade pancakes and waffles, cupcakes… even the kids next door said everything tasted better in our house. I never really thought about it… I just thought it was the way things were everywhere.

I was really jealous when my older sister started going to school when we were in Okinawa. Now we were living on a military base so everything was safe, but instead of letting my sister take the school bus home alone, and because she knew I badly wanted to act like the older kids and go to school, she’d take me there. I was young and had the nerve to manage to slip away from her attention, but she never left me hanging: I would sit-in older kids’ classes and fuck shit up, and I’d see how some of the less-friendly foreign teachers give her disgusted looks and quietly reprimand her. She’d take the flak, but never passed it on to me. She’d let me know it was alright and buy me an ice cream sandwich, and then tell me stories I loved hearing over and over: about how Karen Carpenter was the greatest singer in the world, how we would soon go home to the Philippines and how she thought my crappy drawings had real potential. And when I finally went to school a few years later, she’d always be there when I kicked the white boys’ asses at spelling or writing contests. There were bullies, yes, but then my mom would fucking get medieval on their asses and threaten their PARENTS. I turned into a bit of a crybaby, and she did spank my ass more than a few times, but she made it clear that no one else could touch me, regardless if it was a sixth-grade piece of white trash, sadistic Physical Education instructor or some random dude frowning my way when I chewed gum a little too loudly in church. Jeez, I bet that old guy is still sorry he gave me dirty looks… my mom tore him a new one right after the fucking sermon. I was a kid, so all of this was wildly surprising. I couldn’t understand why she put up with my shit. But it was way cool.

The second half of growing up in the Philippines was a different story. I learned shit the hard way. I went to a retarded elementary and high school run by corrupt nuns, and was flunked by almost every (not all, but a lot…) Filipino, History and Social Studies and math teacher. It was wild. I went from straight- and-smart to dumb-piece-of-shit. Teachers were pissed that I knew about Columbus but not Magellan, one teacher in Filipino made the entire class laugh at me because I didn’t know that the Tagalog term for “rainbow” was “bahaghari.” I was given disciplinary action because I corrected my science teacher who didn’t know that krill and “tiny shrimp” were basically the same fucking thing (that same teacher made fun of me when I told her that chestnuts start off with a spiky exterior and that you couldn’t squeeze ‘em in your hand…). I saw some classmates solve their problems by giving expensive gifts and by “buying” their grades, and I asked my mom if we should try to do the same thing. She refused and put her foot down, and stormed the principal’s office and called-out every teacher who didn’t give a fair chance. She made it clear that her son was not dumb, and practically slapped their faces with all the medals and report cards I didn’t know she kept from my earlier years.

And that teacher who made fun of me for my chestnut-claim? My mom brought an actual chestnut to her office and almost forced it down my teacher’s throat; the bitch was no match for my pissed-off mother.

That taught me a lot about principle, and about doing things the right way… the fair way, even though the world was not fair. My mom hardly raised her voice or got mad when she was given shit, but she’d lose it when her son, or someone else close to her was wronged. She taught me about standing up for other people who couldn’t do so. She gave me hell, too, whenever she’d find out that I was being a brat. She didn’t think twice about suspending TV/playground privileges whenever I crossed the line. Like I said, she knew where and how hard to hit me if I deserved it.

As I grew older though, and I swear I don’t know why, I became impossible to manage. I talked back. I questioned rules of the house, I made fun of how she did certain things, got into real trouble, drank way too much alcohol and developed other addictions, disrespected a lot of relatives… the works. I was an abusive prick… an arrogant brat who thought he could shit on his own, and on many occasions, I ran away from home. I left. During my college years, I stayed away from home as much as possible. I resented where we lived, but because I was a prick, I drained my mom’s wallet whenever I’d get in trouble or wanted something, but forgot to greet her on mother’s day, or on her birthday and even skipped going home for more than a few New Years or Christmases, just because I felt I had to prove something… She told me all she wanted was a diploma, but instead, I joined a band, partied and did all sorts of shit during college. She knew about my issues with traditional religion, so she went to church FOR me. I told her I always wanted to be there for my friends and cared a lot about them, and she approved, even though I now realize how shitty that must have sounded for her, who I left alone in the house on more than a few occasions. I criticized her taste in television shows, and her love of telenovelas… it was all a joke, but a cruel, unnecessary one. I realize that the only reason why she watches those telenovelas is because I have failed many times to be good company.

Now I don’t regret any of the good times I had back then with friends, but looking back, I realize that a diploma wasn’t too much to ask after all she did for me, and that I had made some pretty bad calls during those days. And what’s even worse was that I was way too full of myself to admit it. I turned my back on all those soft-spoken reminders. I never apologized. I lost most of those friends along the way when most of them turned-out to be complete morons, but I never lost my spot at home.

Because my mom never snapped – and she still hasn’t given up….

Yeah she did raise her voice and showed disapproval on very few occasions, but most of the time, she remained quiet. I had my friends and our dog as company when I was letting off steam, but she took everything in on her own, and quietly fought those battles alone. She never spoke ill of me to anyone, and on the rare occasions friend or relatives would come over and ask where I was and why I wasn’t home, I was told she beamed of how creative I was, and how I was in this great band and how I was busy following my dreams, and that it was an admirable thing that I knew what I wanted to do. Go figure.

As the years went by, thanks to many wake-up calls and well, the advice of the good company I’ve kept, I did manage to be less of a prick, and do away with a bunch of nasty habits (still got a lot, but I’m working on it, I promise…), but it just seemed like I had gotten used to not being at home. Still spent weekends and holidays outside, instead of at home… still forgot her birthday and mother’s day on more than a few occasions. And because of my insomnia, I’d be home for a few hours, literally having just enough time to eat, sleep and get ready to leave, and hardly have time to talk, except when we were either arguing about something, or when shit was going haywire. Old habits die-hard, and it sucks, I know. During the worst typhoon in the country not too long ago, she and my dad had to live in an evacuation center for a few days because of the terrible flooding and they both had to watch the floodwaters tear apart the home they worked so hard to build, but she wouldn’t allow me to leave my comfortable condo in Ortigas because she didn’t want me to go through the trouble of wading through the flood. That’s the kind of person she is.

And just last night, I forgot to greet her again on mother’s day… after not being home for weeks, or for more than 24 hours in months.

But here’s the thing: there’s always the greatest breakfasts being served here on a daily basis… I mean, even the neighbors (who we barely know) like ‘em so much that they knock on the door and ask “what’s cooking?” before my mom happily shares her amazing recipe/s. And there’s always an extra big portion saved in case I decide to go home (you guessed it, a lot of Tupperware-d food in the in the fridge). And when she’s 100% sure I am coming home, it’s always my favorite, prep-heavy dishes waiting for me (because I’m spoiled like that…). And though my room practically hasn’t been occupied for months, I can tell that it’s cleaned every single day, my books all in order, newspaper clippings and magazine cutouts of articles I’ve written collected brought out every time there’s company, and I run into random homeowners, trike drivers, security guards and even the freaking sari-sari store owners, smiling at me and congratulating me for my “accomplishments…” as if playing in a heavy-ass band no one’s ever heard-of or writing album reviews or playing guitar were in league with rocket science or medicine or whatever IS a big deal. And even though there’s always something that manages to piss me off, I realize that my mom continues to throw the good stuff my way, no matter how reserved or secretive or absent I have become.

I know I don’t deserve it, but she has given me everything, and continues to do so every day. A hundred and ten percent… that, truly is an amazing thing… and because I’m not really the kind of guy who’s vocal about it with her, I guess I’ll just tell as many people as I can in the meantime: my mother is the most remarkable, classiest, lovable, principled, sincere, generous, talented and beautiful person I know. And she continues to sacrifice so much for such a hard-headed son who’s still fucking-up all over the place… And it drives me crazy, and blows my mind knowing she still puts up with me. It’s a mystery – fucking that, and the Bermuda Triangle. 

I’m sorry for being such an arrogant, forgetful prick. I really am.

Bunso e. I have no other excuse.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mommy.

And yeah, I can smell breakfast… mukhang magic na naman ‘to.


Sincerely,

Joey






No comments:

Post a Comment